The Age of Aerospace
A 5-Part series exploring the last 100 years of aviation history in unprecedented detail. From the Wright brothers first flight to the Apollo moon landings and beyond, experience the history of an industry defined by innovation. Woven into this history is The Boeing Company, which has navigated war and peace, booms and busts, to become the largest aerospace company in the world. The Age of Aerospace recounts the fate of a company, a country, its people, and their countless contributions to technology, culture, and history.
- What Can’t We Do? The premiere episode reveals how Bill Boeing, Donald Douglas, James McDonnell and their contemporaries took the invention of the airplane and forged an industry, delivering advancements in communication, transportation, and warfare
- Miracle Planes details the role American industry and planes, including the B-29 Superfortress, North American P-51 Mustang and the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, played in the Allied victory over Germany and Japan
- Shrinking the Earth explores three planes that launched the jet age: the B-47 bomber, the Boeing 707 and the 747 Jumbo Jet, the world’s first jumbo jet that reshaped global air travel. These three planes were made possible by secrets discovered in a German Forest at the close of WWII
- In the Vastness of Space tells the story of Project Apollo, which accomplished landing the first humans on the Moon, and humankind’s first journey to the Moon on Apollo 8. Other topics include humanity’s future in space
- Dreamliner reveals the technology, resources, and risk required to build commercial aircraft in the modern world through the story of the most recent revolution in jet design, the 787 Dreamliner.
Explore a century of aerospace in a series of educational resources produced by The Documentary Group and WGBH. Hear from engineers designing the airplanes, spacecraft and satelites of tomorrow, and key aerospace engineeering concepts through interactive online tools at: PBS Learning Media
Science Channel: Mondays, 8/11pm Eastern
Discovery Channel: Saturdays, 12pm Eastern
Full Episodes Online: theageofaerospace.com
AGE OF AEROSPACE is produced by The Documentary Group where Tom Yellin and Mark Obenhaus serve as Executive Producers with Susan Schaefer as senior producer. It was written and directed by Mark Obenhaus. For Science Channel, Wyatt Channell serves as Executive producer. Boeing serves as the series sponsor.